Wednesday 16 August 2017

Fan Dramaturgy: Rik Carranza @ Edfringe 2017

What was the inspiration for this performance?

I’ve been a stand up comedian for the last 8 years and I wanted to try something new. So, with support form the Arts Council England, and some great script editors, I have written a more storytelling comedy show which explores the ideas of acceptance, fandom and touches on mental health issues. It is inspired by events of my own life, my love of Star Trek and my own battles with bullying and depression.

Is performance still a good space for the public discussion of ideas? 

Absolutely. In a performance you are free to find new and interesting ways to explore complex ideas, as well as challenge established ones. It is also an interesting exercise to try to make your work is as accessible as possible.

How did you become interested in making performance?

Since I was a child I’ve always wanted to be a performer, or more accurately, the centre of attention. I’d always make jokes and act out but it wasn’t until about 2009, on the back of a £1 bet, that I started performing stand up comedy properly.

Is there any particular approach to the making of the show?

It was just a lot of writing! Breaking down the show into sections to work on it, lots of practice and filling up a whiteboard with new ideas every day. Oh, and coffee. Lots and lots of coffee.
Does the show fit with your usual productions?

I’m a stand up comedian so this show is a lot more honest and personal than what I would do in a stand up set. 

What do you hope that the audience will experience?

Lots of laughs mainly! However, I hope to take them on a journey and have them realise at the end that it’s ok to be you.

What strategies did you consider towards shaping this audience experience?

I did look into having more sound cues, making it more interactive and having props and set. However, after writing and previews, it became apparent that keeping the show as simple as possible made for a more rewarding and immersive experience for the audience


No comments :

Post a Comment