Monday 10 July 2017

Welcome to Dramaturgy: Michael Stranney @ Edfringe 2017

Michael Stranney’s debut Edinburgh Fringe show ‘Welcome To Ballybeg’ will be at the Pleasance Courtyard – Below for the month of August for tickets go to www.edfringe.com

What was the inspiration for this performance?
As my show is based around a fictional village in Northern Ireland, I wanted to create a format for the comedy, that made the place as real as possible for the audience, and the easiest way of painting the world I thought was through a tourist board presentation
Is performance still a good space for the public discussion of ideas? 
It's a great way to show people a different point of view or give them a different way of looking at things. I think it can definitely be a good space for public discussion unless that discussion is happening at the same time as the performance in which case it's not a good space, and you should probably wait until the show is over.
How did you become interested in making performance?
I've always liked when shows, films or music has taken me out of my own world and placed me in another. I've always got a huge buzz out of making people laugh and doing that on stage is the ultimate.
Is there any particular approach to the making of the show?
Not really. I sort of play around with a couple of ideas, try them out on stage, see how they feel, have another think, go back to the drawing board, play around with a few more, then 6 weeks before the fringe, look at the calendar and think 'oh sh*t I should probably put a show together' 
Does the show fit with your usual productions?
Well this is my first hour and I haven't done any other productions apart from playing one of the shepherd's in a nativity play in primary school, in which case this show doesn't fit, and is very different. 
What do you hope that the audience will experience?
I'd like them to come away having felt immersed in a surreal and silly world where they feel a connection to the bizarre people who live there. If not that, then if they could experience comfortable seats and an air conditioned room then at least they've had a chance to take the weight off their feet and relax in comfort
What strategies did you consider towards shaping this audience experience?
As it's a spoof tourist board presentation, I've tried to find some really old vintage clips which hopefully really helps paint the world, which is an isolated curious Irish backwater, that has managed to stay in 1950s Ireland. 

Other than that, I've liaised with the venue and they've assured me that the seats are comfortable and it will be adequately air conditioned. 

No comments :

Post a Comment