Wednesday 7 June 2017

Open Dramaturgy: Kwame Asante @ Edfringe 2017



Pleasance Courtyard
18.45
2-28 August
(not 16)
£6 - £10


What was the inspiration for this performance?
This performance has been inspired by a number of things. The last 2 years have been a very busy and important time for me. I finished university. I qualified and started work as a Doctor. I moved from London to Birmingham. All of these transitions have come with different challenges, lows, highs and their funny moments! It's a rich time in my life for me to draw humour from. I'm also taking a break from my medical training at the end of July for a year. This will be the first time in my comedy career that I'll be able to commit to comedy full time. This is unique opportunity for me and very exciting, one that I'm looking forward to immersing myself in fully.

Is performance still a good space for the public discussion of ideas? 
I think so. It certainly is a good platform to present ideas, and work through ideas publicly. Although the amount of opportunities to express ideas through digital media has increased, it can never be a substitute for the rawness of live performance. I like putting an idea out there, watching an audience react right in front of you, and they too can see how their response shapes the idea.

How did you become interested in making performance?
A long time admiration of live stand-up comedy, crossed with a one-off bet from a friend to go up and try it myself!

Is there any particular approach to the making of the show?
I try to keep it as laid-back as possible. The smoother and better the show flows, the easier it is to perform. And the easier it is for me to enjoy myself. A relaxed performer always makes for a better comedy show, especially in the early stages, when the audience is still sizing you up, developing trust and dropping their guard.

Does the show fit with your usual productions?
My stand-up takes a classic narrative form, in keeping with my last work-in-progress show, 'Basketcase' (Edinburgh Fringe 2014).

What do you hope that the audience will experience?
A good time!

What strategies did you consider towards shaping this audience experience?
I aimed for an intimate, unpretentious venue, and reasonable performance time of 6:45pm. I want my show to be a nice way to unwind after a hard day of work, or a good start to a long night of comedy (or both!)


No comments :

Post a Comment