Monday 2 November 2015

SEN @ Edfringe 2015

What inspired this production: did you begin with an idea or a script or an object?

I began with an idea and the characters. Alongside playwriting, I also work in education and wanted to write something about the challenges that many staff and pupils are facing in classrooms today.


Where does your piece at the fringe fit with your usual work?

I tend to start with the characters, which is what I did for S.E.N. But my other work has not been so closely influenced by things I have witnessed or encountered in my own life which I think has made it slightly easier to write and given the whole thing more of a sense of immediacy. I have used comedy in the same way I usually do, spiking the dialogue and shifting the tone of the piece constantly. I always try to depict a sense of real-life on stage and I firmly believe that comedy often comes from and offers relief from the darkest moments in life. Hopefully that is reflected in my work and felt by audiences when watching S.E.N.


What can the audience expect to see and feel - or even think - of your production?

The play’s tone is constantly shifting throughout the hour. One minute it is very pointed, the next it is funny, the next it is touching. I would hope that the audience would be left with differing opinions of the characters and for the play to have provoked some thought about life in a modern classroom. (And hopefully they’d have really bloomin’ enjoyed it too… )

No comments :

Post a Comment