Thursday 2 July 2015

Cracked Dramaturgy: Lorenzo Novani @ Edfringe 2015


Fringe


What inspired this production: did you begin with an idea or a script or an object?
My play focuses mainly on a father - son relationship. I started by choosing several outstanding moments from my childhood which revealed to me something about my father. I built the narrative around these moments. Some obvious, dramatic moments and others much more subtle. He always remained a mystery to me in some ways. It’s not biographical but his character inspired the piece.

Why bring your work to Edinburgh?

To share my work with as many people as possible. The Fringe offers an incredible opportunity to connect with a wide audience and springboard new work onto new places.

What can the audience expect to see and feel - or even think - of your production?
They can expect to see a very energised but bereaved man losing a little bit of his mind in the back shop of a chip shop! They can also expect to see a little piece of my soul. It’s an incredibly personal piece. It’s sad, hilarious and with more questions than answers. I don’t want my audience to come with too many pre conceived notions about what they’re about to watch. I want the narrative, characters and themes to unfold in front of the audience.



Dramaturgy

How would you explain the relevance - or otherwise - of dramaturgy within your work?

It’s the essence of the work. It’s theatre in it’s purest form. The audience are watching a single character at a crucial moment, thoughts race and memories flood bringing a whole host of other characters to life through him. These characters ultimately take over and tell the story. It’s a very dynamic, vivid piece. It’s great fun to act.

What particular traditions and influences would you acknowledge on your work - have any particular artists, or genres inspired you and do you see yourself within their tradition?I’m also a professional magician. The magician, like the actor, is a storyteller but with a particular strength; generating intrigue and a feeling of mystery. This background had a strong influence on the writing of this piece.

Do you have a particular process of making that you could describe - where it begins, how you develop it, and whether
there is any collaboration in the process?This is my first piece of theatre. I only put pen to paper on this play at the turn of the year. I think I’d been formulating this piece in my head for years without realising it. It practically wrote itself.

I can’t talk too much about a process other than that after writing a scene, I would immediately try acting it out. I would tweak and tweak until it eventually felt right. Being so used to performing other peoples’s scripts , I felt like I had unique luxury… I was able to strip away unnecessary or clunky language. You can’t do that when you’ve been given someone else’s script to perform! I was editing the piece right up until opening night. This isn’t a collaborative piece but sharing my work and getting feedback was incredibly valuable. I have several close actor/writer friends. They offered feedback and encouragement at crucial stages.


What do you feel the role of the audience is, in terms of making the meaning of your work?
I’m not sure I would say it is their role to make meaning.The audience instinctively make meaning of what they are watching and this instinct is what gives theatre value and life. Audiences will find meaning in the piece and that meaning will be slightly different from one person to the next. We all view through the lens of our own experiences.

No comments :

Post a Comment