Wednesday 28 January 2015

More on Cirque Berserk


I would be pushing my luck if I claimed that watching four men racing motorbikes around a steel cage provoked any deep questions, but Cirque Berserk did leave me pondering some questions. Most of all, I am trying to square my enthusiasm for this populist show with my pretentious love of bloody difficult art.

Does Tweedy - the clown - represent the struggles of the ordinary person in a hostile universe?

Tweedy would amble on-stage after the acrobats had wowed the crowd, and proceed to mess up his own versions of various tricks. He frequently lands on his genitals, making a funny face and probably ensuring that the Tweedy family tree wouldn't be continues into the next generation. Being a clown, he evokes sympathy by being vulnerable - and yet, he seems to offer an alternative humanity, laced with compassion, to the amazing prowess of the other acts.

How do I feel about sexy dancing girls?

There is no chance to write this off to post-modern irony. Whenever a set needs clearing, three women came on in revealing outfits and swayed to the music. It was deliberately distracting, and while fairly innocuous, it brings up that question about the place of women on stage: are they being exploited? Do the men get to be impressive and the women attractive? Asking them question seems to be against the spirit of the show, which is all about entertainment, earthy passion and excitement.

Is this just The Spectacle in action?

Of course it is spectacular, but is it all a big distraction, the spectacle that hides the machinations of the political class? Is emotional engagement actually as dangerous as Plato says it is, and the circus is a simulacrum, hiding the absence of truth and meaning?

Why can't I just have fun?

3 comments :

  1. I've just read your last two Circus blogs with interest as I've just come home from seeing a circus/theatre show myself!
    Regarding your previous blog about shrouding technical skill in 'meaning', I felt that the production I saw tried too hard to make the cohesion seem spontaneous and aspects of the show suffered: a loose theme of a 'cooking show' that gets out of hand was never fully explored and simply provided the backdrop of silks, ropes and tight-wires, and gave the opportunity for some slapstick humour and "funny" moments.
    The other interesting thing is that in the show I saw tonight, it was the four women who were the impressive acts, performing hand-balancing, silks, sling, etc, and the lone man of the cast was the clown; the cleaner for the mess the women created. It's an unusual juxtaposition as, as you mentioned, the women are frequently the distraction or the pretty one who gets thrown around by the acrobats.
    Not really sure I have a point to make, just wanted to comment!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - why can't you just have fun? Why does every bloody thing have to be political? Everyone in the show is there because they said they'd like to be; no-one is being 'exploited', they're doing a paid job which (as you would have been able to tell if you took off your significance-seeking myopic glasses) they all enjoy. Lucky people; lucky audience to be able to share the enjoyment, unspoiled by pretentious claptrap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking the time to comment, Chris. I think you have captured exactly what I was trying to get at. I love the way that you add something from my other post about pretentiousness.

    ReplyDelete