Saturday 7 September 2013

Giants Recap... (PART 1)


I desperately need to get back to this. So here's a recap of the story so far.
My trip around Scotland to visit the Giants in the Forest has four phases. The Giants have been placed (in trios) around Scotland, in locations of particular natural beauty. In each location, they have become the focus for community activity, culminating in the Dark Wood events. These events are all happening in the next few weeks, and I encourage anyone who can to attend.
My first phase took in Giants towards the borders and along the east coast, as far as The Falkland Estate in Fife. I travelled by public transport -- with a few spots of hitching and walking -- and concluded it by spending a weekend camping at the NFYT/

Phase two was a combination of train and bicycle, including a lovely distance ride between Aberdeen and Drum Castle. It was predominantly along the east coast, but further north. It ended at Inverness, and I am currently concerned that the state of my ligaments might prevent me from ever doing any distance cycling again. That said, it was a beautiful way to sign off, especially riding off road from Nethy Bridge alongside the steam train line.

The third phase took me along the west coast -- an early detour to the south, then shooting up to Mull. I left the bike at home -- the walks were easy enough and I got to hang about in Balamory

The final phase is this: trying to write up the process. It involves all the misery that the travelling expunged from my life: anxiety, doubt and feeling stuck -- worst of all, I have been barely able to walk for three weeks. I see this as integral to the process, an elegant urban balance of inactivity that sets the revelations of the open road into context.

(I have to give it some meaning. Otherwise, it is too painful.)









No comments :

Post a Comment