Thursday 18 July 2013

Live from the CCA

These days, my blog is mostly being written at the CCA. As I have mentioned before, my house is so untidy,
Wrong logo, Vile
the thought of writing there during daylight hours makes me despair. At night, most of the bulbs have blown out, so I wander Glasgow's arts hubs, seeking internet and human connections.


However, I am also on a grand adventure, touring the country in search of Giants. Then the Fringe, meaning I escape to Edinburgh and eat bacon sandwiches for a month, watching forty shows a week and getting annoyed at Japanese tourists who walk too slow and I am trying to get to a show and the last one was late out and...

The CCA is a cool hub, though. I liked it down the Briggait in my old job, mainly because Mischief La Bas were next door and Conflux on the other side of the balcony. Here, there are more events and the man who makes the coffee for the upstairs bar is utterly charming. As a tip of the hat to the CCA, I am going to give them some play on the blog, for a bunch of stuff I am going to miss. 


Press Release Begins
Playwright’s Studio: Stage to Page
Mon 29 July/ 7pm – 9.30pm / £3 / Ages 16+
These exciting monthly workshops explore play scenes, with an opportunity for informal networking. Playwrights are invited to submit 5-10 minute scenes, which will be matched to directors and actors and worked on in small groups before being performed at the end of the evening.


Dance House: Contact Jams
Sat 10 August / 2pm – 5pm / £3 / ages 14+
A creative session for dancers, musicians, writers and visual artists to work together. React, respond, explore and contribute in an open and informal environment.

I did some Contact once: I liked it, too. My friend Penny is involved in this, and it has been growing over the past year. It's a bit like a multi-art event, with no audience and a chance for dance to be at the centre but not necessarily the only art form on the stage... although there is no stage and no division between performer and observer.


Infinity Pool DJ Set
Fri 2 August / 9pm / FREE / Saramago Terrace Bar
Steev and Simon (Errors) broadcast the results of their entire 20s spent in dark rooms gathering digital audio files from across the blogosphere and beyond, with an emphasis on electronic composition, Acid, 90s, RnB and synthesised library music.

Get the Records On!
Sat 3 August / 9pm / FREE / Saramago Terrace Bar
DJs Craig Reece and Aitor Zair dig deep into the vaults with a selection of psychedelic rock, rhythm n’ blues, garage and soul, with a touch of latin, ska and jazz. The duo invites a guest along every month.

I like to hang out in this bar on a Friday, because I once saw the former members of Arab Strap having a quiet drink here. I am not sure they appreciated my twitter hashtag #GETTOGETHERAIDENMALCOLM


Robert Beavers screening in conversation with Luke Fowler
Fri 3 August / 8pm / FREE
CCA is pleased to announce an evening of three screenings, a talk and conversation around American filmmaker Robert Beavers, who is considered as one of the most influential avant-garde filmmakers of the second half of the 20th century. Three of Beavers’ most crucial 16mm works - From the Notebook…, the Stoas and The Suppliant - are shown in order to provide insight in the personal motivations of filmmaking and life. Followed by a short talk on his own work, Robert Beavers engages in a conversation with Glasgow based filmmaker Luke Fowler who shares his personal relation to the the oeuvre of Beavers. The evening concludes with a Q&A.



No comments :

Post a Comment