Wednesday 22 May 2013

Marcus Roche Interview 2012

A little over a year ago, Marcus Roche was a guest on my radio show... chatting about a production as part of Mayfesto, an adaptation of To A God Unknown, John Steinbeck's novel of faith and the wide open spaces of America. A year later, and he is back at the Tron, director of The Agony and Ecstasy of Steve Jobs. He had a big hit during the Fringe with that, and I am still trying to untangle the questions it posed.

However, I just discovered this old interview that I had done with him, and it reminds me of three things.

1. Roche was utterly charming and enthusiastic about the power of theatre to make changes.
2. Being on the Radio Hour is a first step to sudden success, except for me.
3. Mayfesto has been consistently political in all of its editions.

And over to Roche...



What made Mayfesto a good platform for this particular piece ?

Mayfesto at the Tron has had a focus on personal politics. In To a God Unknown the main character is finding out about his own relationship with the land and his faith. Showing a piece of such personal journey of discovery to a Mayfesto audience seems really appropriate.

 Are there any other pieces in the festivals that you either think compares to A God, or that you are especially keen to see (and why?)

I think To A God Unknown is a universal story about people trying to make sense of their surroundings and in that it might share with Minute After Midday and No Time for Art 0 + 1. I've recently been in contact with two other Egyptian directors I’ve really been struck by how profoundly the revolution has altered the way they see the world. There is a lot of confronting the truth in this programme, which is very exciting.

I also am really keen to see some of the other work that is being developed like Chalk Farm and Scenes Unseen and I’m really interested in seeing what Springtime turns out to be. I am always enthused by the diversity of the rehearsed readings that are showcasing work in various stages.

 What is your role at the tron at the moment?

I'm working as a producer on placement in the Tron to help bring together a Glasgow-wide theatre festival for the next year.

How do you think that this edition of mayfesto has evolved from earlier years?

I feel this Mayfesto has put a focus on international work coming here while showcasing what Glasgow has to say about the world. These are two key themes that we are hoping to develop for next year’s festival.

No comments :

Post a Comment