Friday 15 February 2013

More Wrestling and an apology

First of all, an apology. I discussed Insane Championship Wrestling purely in the context of masculine displays of power. It has been pointed out to me that women are part of this line up, too.

Once again, the unconscious bias of patriarchal hegemony has expressed itself in my blog. I'd like to defend myself on the grounds that... well, frankly, I didn't read the press release properly and I'm not going to argue with wrestlers.

Funny thing is, they are going over to Studio 24: the last time I was there, it was probably at the lamented 1990s club night, Sativa. I was dancing to a different drummer back then - a whole troop of them.  And the whole point of this event is that it is the first joint show between ICW and their sister promotion, Fierce Females. Way to miss the point, Vile.

Although I haven't watched the wrestling since Big Daddy flattened King Kong Kurt, I feel the stirrings of the old enthusiasm. ICW has a team called The Bucky Boys. Take that, Edinburgh. Plus there is a death match.

When Rob Drummond did Wrestling  at The Arches, he reminded me of the poetry in the square circle, the displays of power that make me believe that those comics I love aren't necessarily just fiction. The passion of the tragedy, man pitting himself against man, woman against woman and then, the inter-gender tag-match.

Let's rumble.




The Card


Grudge match
GRADO vs. RED LIGHTNING II

Inter-Gender Tag Team DEATHMATCH!
Jack Jester & Kaylee Ray Vs. Mikey Whiplash & Carmel

Tag Tag No.1 Contenders
The Bucky Boys Vs. Fight Club

James Scott Vs. Noam Dar

Contract signing with BT Gunn and Chris Renfrew

Fierce Females Championship Tournament Qualifier
Vyper Vs. Noire

6-Way Elimination Tag
April Davids Vs Nikki Storm Vs Leah Owens Vs Kasey Owens Vs Kirsty Loveign Vs Fiona Fraser

ICW Zero-Gravity Championship
Andy Wild (c) Vs. Wolfgang

Fierce Females Championship Tournament Qualifier
Sara Vs Rhia O'Reilly

No comments :

Post a Comment