Thursday 18 October 2012

Eric goes solo (part 5)

Big Hogg are blasting their final piece, and Vile is off to smoke a cigarette, leaving me staring at this blank page.

Amazing how I am thinking a  million things, but they are not really relevant to the performance itself. I'm examining the audience.

The lead vocalist of Natalie Pryce sits diagonally across from me; he looks nervous. They're performing last, so I guess pressure is starting to build. Meanwhile, everybody else seems to be genuinely mesmerised by the performance. There is no reason not to be - crisp cymbals and beat, bluesy electric guitar, smooth keyboard notes, triumphant trumpet (as Vile said)... Well, they're off-stage now, saluted with the thunder of applause.

Although not full, the Stereo basement seems warm, almost intimate, despite the stage that stands at chest-height (for me... I'm not exactly tall).

I don't know quite why the live blogging is exciting. I suppose I enjoy the challenge of recording as much as possible of what I am hearing and seeing as quickly as possible, while ensuring that what I say is relatively accurate.

Now Vile is back... and the lights are on... do I want to know?

No comments :

Post a Comment