Friday 28 September 2012

Scene 4567a (Third Draft)

Show Name: I Love Criticulous and Criticulous Loves Me
Artist: Gareth K Vile
Venue: Arches LIVE 2012
Date: Sat 29 Sep 2012 |2pm onwards | Foyer| Free

Descriptions (from The Arches Website): He took confession, investigated murder, chatted to stars and was locked up in a basement for his art. Now Criticulous faces the ultimate challenge: collaboration. 

Unwilling to admit that criticism is not the original art form, Criticulous fights his ego and mounting anxiety to present a series of pieces that brings dance, radio, dialectics, sculpture and the audience into his relentless quest to understand a world he did not create but reflects.
Contains desperation. 


The therapist asked me why I believed that criticism was the original art form. I thought that psychiatrists were supposed to listen. Instead, I got a lecture about how criticism, by its vary nature, is responsive, and cannot be original...


"In any specific incidence, let alone in the wider context of art itself. Are you insisting that criticism pre-dates any other artistic medium or genre?"

I replied that I thought therapy was supposed to be about my mental health, not an abstract discussion of aesthetics. There was a nice, comforting silence. I started to feel at home. It's like that time I decided to recite William Burrough's story about The Man Who Taught His Arsehole To Talk at the party for my grandmother's sixtieth birthday. Another minute, and tumble-weed would have rolled across the room.

"I'm interested in where you draw the line. It seems that so much of your identity is tied up within definitions of art, your response to art. And it never hurts to call a patient on what is, frankly, a delusional opinion."

Quick as a mood change in Alan Ayckbourne's mid-period comedies, I retort that plenty of people have delusional opinions, and that doesn't get them hauled up in front of the reality police. 

"Give it six months," my therapist smiled. 

I'd heard humour was often used in therapeutic situations to help the client feel at ease. I am not sure whether this is supposed to extend to alluding to conspiracies deep within the government to round up Christian fundamentalists.

"Dear God, are all of the scenes like this one? A serious point is presented, and the script wanders off to banter about the first thing that comes into your head?"

"Pretty much. Although I tend to make more references to where I steal my ideas from. This scene is a tribute to that one Punch, which had the famous puppet up on charges for assault and battery. Starred him out of Frisky and Mannish."




No comments :

Post a Comment